Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The spoon ran away with my dignity


It is nearly impossible to realize one's own first memory. The most interesting aspect of old memories is remembering how one was thinking at the time. The childish way of thinking that I can recall can be closely likened to the thinking of one who is inebriated. Anyone who has ever imbibed spirits to the point of drunkenness has made some sort of less-than-calculated decision. The same holds true for being a child.

I can remember when I was three years old or so, I was playing by myself in the room Sarah and I shared. I had two items that I can recall- a golf ball and a spoon. I put the golf ball in the most logical place I could see, which was the golf-ball sized bowl of the spoon. I then decided I wanted the golf ball to fly in the air. The most logical move at that point would have been to hit the handle of the spoon- which I did. After that I can only remember a sharp pain in my eye. I couldn't have hit myself in the eye so perfectly had I been attempting to and I was quite embarrassed about the incident so I'm pretty sure I lied about it. I had a black eye to show for it, however, and at some point I would imagine my parents got the truth out of me. Embarrassment of that magnitude is a complex emotion for a child of such a young age, so I am assuming that is why I remember it.

There is one of my first memories. Now the question is, how is that mythological? It was a learning experience that I am sure it had happened before that time and has happened since. I guess I am still unsure as to what mythological really means. Good thing it is early in the semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment