Monday, November 22, 2010

Musings on Eschatology


"Thoughts of a Dying Atheist"-Muse

Those who believe in literal eschatology believe that the world is going to end....and that's it. It's over. Everyone goes. Those who believe in realized eschatology have an outlook that is a bit less bleak. They think that maybe the end of the world is not necessarily THE END OF THE WORLD, but is instead the end of the world as we know it...an unveiling.

This song illustrates the fear of an atheist as he realizes the end is near. He says "it scares the hell out of me, and the end is all I can see." Atheists believe they are just "snuffed out," for lack of a better term. When Christians die they are much more at peace because they believe in an afterlife. I couldn't find any statistics, but I have heard that many Atheists convert to Christianity right before death because the absolute end is just too frightening. I can't really blame them.

This can be related directly back to literal and realized eschatology. Literal eschatology can be likened to how an Atheist thinks about the end of the world. Realized eschatology is much more related to the belief that we go to Heaven and realize a different world. They are not exactly the same, which is why I am comparing them, but what made me develop this entire thought process was hearing this song last night. The part that strikes me the most is when he says "the end is all I can see" because it seems that those who believe that the world is going to end altogether (Mayan Calendar Apocalypse, Y2K Schwann's Man) become obsessed with it. Nearing the fatal date (12/21/12) we know that those who believe the world is actually going to END are going to be thinking of little else.

To end this post, here is another Muse song that talks more directly about literal eschatology. In fact, literal eschatology is exactly what this song is about. Not my favorite song...but undeniably relevant.

"Apocalypse Please"-Muse

No comments:

Post a Comment