Monday, November 22, 2010

A Bit of 90's Nostalgia

"We shall not cease from exploration And the end of all our exploring Will be to arrive where we started And know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets

We all know this quote by now, having talked about it on numerous occasions in Mythologies. I have found a song to compare to this...bear with me. The video isn't very relevant, but I don't feel right not including the song.

"Closing Time"-Semisonic

This song brings about a lot of nostalgia. I remember when I was about 14 or so, on one of our rare trips to the big city (Great Falls) with my Mom, I saw the lyrics "Every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end" painted on the side of a building followed by a reference to the class that was graduating that year. This particular senior class had decided to use this lyric as a motto for their graduation. For some reason that always stuck with me.

Then I was introduced to this quote by T.S. Eliot. Although a rather odd comparison I suppose, I can definitely see the similarities. The quote that senior class used made me think of this picture, the Ouroboros

As college students, we all underwent the transition from high school to college. This is where I see the comparison between the aforementioned senior class's motto and T.S. Eliot's poem. We come back to where we started, Freshman year, and know it for the first time. Our life is just a recapitulating cycle in which we learn the same things over and over in different context. When we graduate college, we might go to graduate school, or even out into the [gasp] real world [end gasp]. We will continue to learn, whilst eating our own tails...I guess that might be little too far, but the Semisonic and the senior class of long, long ago might believe something to that effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment