Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I was listening to music the other night, and the song "When You Sleep" by Cake came on and I noticed a blatant and accurate reference to mythology. Here is the line:

Now Zeus was a womanizer
Always on the make

But Hera usually punished her that Zeus was one to take

This line doesn't necessarily fit into the song, but it definitely fits well into this class. I was actually thinking about composing a post about Juno because she reminds me of a person I know. I guess finding these lines gives me all the more reason to do so.

This person I know, let's call her Mandy, had an extremely unfaithful boyfriend, let's call him Paul. Paul would run around sleeping with girls from around he and Mandy's hometown on a regular basis. Mandy however, would never punish Paul for his indiscretions but would instead direct her anger toward whichever girl he had "hooked up with" most recently. Mandy called one of my good friends repeatedly, harassing her about an alleged transgression that never even happened. This pattern of infidelity and misdirected anger was repeated numerous times, and in the process, poor Mandy actually agreed to marry Paul. Of course it didn't work out and they broke off the engagement.

This personal experience makes me actually feel very sorry for Juno. She is in love with a man who is unfaithful to her. She doesn't want to lose his love so she doesn't punish him for his infidelity, but instead takes it all out on those her husband victimizes. She clearly sees no other way to alleviate the pain her husband causes her. Juno is in a tough place and comes across as a total bitch (okay...she is a total bitch), but we need to understand how difficult it must be for her. I'm sure Mandy would love to shed some light on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment