Thursday, December 9, 2010

Another Bad Day

Simon had a horrible day on Sunday. As it turned out, it was he and I's one year anniversary. It was supposed to be a great day in which we could celebrate the fact that we had made it a year together-no easy feat mind you.

The day started out okay. My cousin was in town so we went out to breakfast in the morning. This would be fine for a "normal" person, but as it turns out, Simon is incredibly awkward about money situations and being bought food just about surpasses his awkwardness threshold. No one else sensed the awkwardness of the situation as Simon and I are college students and should probably have breakfast bought for us from time to time, but the "incident" basically ruined his morning. On top of the situation at breakfast, the food actually made him feel sick and he considered vomiting for the following two hours.

After the nausea had abated to a manageable level, Simon was obligated to go to the Cat's Paw and watch football with a friend who was visiting from back home. He had a couple of drinks, which didn't make him feel any better, and came home before heading off to a study session for his abhorrent music theory class. He stopped in and said goodbye to me in fairly good spirits considering the lingering stomach ache and the unavoidable clash with the characters of the music department.

Five minutes after his departure, Simon yelled at me from the bottom of the stairs. He had been in a collision with another vehicle because he had not cleaned off his window well enough. This collision resulted in the driver's-side half of his front bumper being torn off and I had to drive and park Simon's car while he carried the bumper along side of it (it was still attached by wires). The other person involved in the collision drove off, which was actually lucky because the crash was Simon's fault.

After moving his car to a safe place, Simon took my car to campus, and luckily didn't come back so soon this time. When he did arrive back at the house, however, he announced that the study session had been a complete waste of time and he had "fucked up" his car for no reason. After venting for a time about his music class and his misgivings about having crashed his car, Simon was back to feeling better...until I had to be girl and screw everything up.

As the realization that I had not received a gift for our anniversary popped into my head, I did not have the presence of mind to keep my mouth shut, especially considering the present circumstances. I mentioned the absence of a present, which made Simon feel bad and pissed him off all over again. After that, I refused to leave him alone to cool off and followed him around yelling at him for a while (that was my attempt at making things better, albeit a horrible one).

After a while, I was forgiven for my indiscretion and we drove to Movie Lovers to rent Harry Potter and planned on spending the rest of our anniversary getting along. We managed to make it back to the house okay and went upstairs to look something up on the internet quickly before watching our movie. Simon became engrossed in a paper he had up on the computer and I began to feel ignored. This feeling sparked a new outburst on my part. I didn't realize at the time that Simon probably was acting a bit out of sorts, but it most likely wasn't because of me. It probably had something to do with the fact that he had messed up his car and had felt sick all day. However, I managed to reinstate the fight and bring it back in full force-throwing objects, screaming, etc. Sarah referred to it as a real "stem-winder"(the walls in our house are paper thin so Sarah is afforded the pleasure of listening to every one of Simon and I's numerous fights).

Simon and I ended up making up at about two o'clock in the morning and everything was absolutely fine, like it always is...but that does not negate the fact that Simon had one hell of a bad day, somewhat facilitated by yours truly. Poor guy, I don't even think he learned anything from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment